The Classic French Jacket
The techniques that are used to create a classic French jacket are, to my mind, a sub-set of traditional couture techniques. While there are similarities, there are applications specific to the construction of the jacket that put this sewing project in a category of its own. Six days are devoted to the creation of this fashion classic—and what we create is the haute couture version. A muslin is prepared ahead of time (pattern suggestions are given, along with muslin instructions), which Susan Khalje fits in class. We go shopping to find the perfect fabrics, linings, trims and buttons, then we begin working.
- Fine-tune the fit of the muslin
- Adapt their sleeve pattern (or use one of Susan’s) to allow for better placket placement
- Learn special haute couture construction techniques that are specific to these jackets
- Learn to apply the trims, buttons and pockets that are essential components of these jackets
- Examine a number of Susan Khalje’s jackets
- And most importantly, construct your jacket under Susan Khalje’s close supervision.
The cost of the 2017 & 2018 Classic French Jacket Class is $1,800. An initial deposit of $500 is required and the final balance is due 30 days before the start of the class. In addition to classroom instruction, we will begin with a day of shopping in New York City (round trip transportation is included).
May 14 – 20
June 10 – 16
September 6 – 12
October 15 – 21
In the event that you must cancel, a full refund, less a $100 processing fee, will be returned to you provided we receive your refund request in writing 30 days before the beginning of the class for which you have registered. Note: In most cases, you may transfer to another session at no additional cost, provided space is available. In the event that Susan Khalje must cancel, a full refund will be sent to you.
For additional information, or if you have any questions, please email Susan Khalje.